CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

From:
Bill Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 08:22:42 -0400

Sure.  There are lots of problems with the statistics in scientific papers in many fields.  That's not the point, though.  The point is that you have limited *space* to present your data in a peer-reviewed journal.  I recently did a survey on a professional practice issue in my primary medical specialty as part of a Master's in Public Administration.  For the project, I did a full statistical analysis of 16 of the 50 hypotheses.  The detailed report that I turned into my research advisor was 140 pages long.

When I publish the paper, I will have 5-8 pages to fit my results in.  It doesn't matter whether or not the readers want to see the original data and evaluate the statistics on their own.  They are going to get 5-8 pages of summary results.  You simply can't fit 140 pages of analysis into 6 pages.

The same prinicple applies to imagery.

billo

billo
http://www.billoblog.com/billoblog