CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2008

Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:26:13 +1100
Hi Shiv,

Depending on what you need to do, you could try a sledge microtome,
we use this for small tree cross-sections, big tobacco stems and also
wheat stems, fresh and dry.  You do need a really good, well-sharpened
microtome knife, the disposable ones aren't up to it - ditto if you try
cryosectioning.  For this, we just stick the stems in tissuetek or similar
and section them very cold - at least -30 C.

The other option is to autoclave in a softening agent, one group here
autoclaves rice leaves in KOH before staining rust pathogens with
fluorescent wheat germ agglutinin, the older rice leaves are so hydrophobic
it's the only way to stain haustoria inside the mesophyll.  They are a
bit soft after this, but perhaps just autoclaving in water or buffer would help.
Maybe the pressure cooker isn't going quite far enough.....

cheers,
Rosemary

Rosemary White
CSIRO Plant Industry