CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2008

From:
Johan Henriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2008 19:12:09 +0100
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2008 at 18:00, Johan Henriksson wrote:
>

>> Martin Spitaler wrote:
>>
>>> Just a note because WinXP-64bit discussions were on here before: Even
>>> if the software doesn't support 64 bit, it should run faster because
>>> the the 'virtual memory' the software is using (beyond 3GB) is
>>> actually stored in RAM rather than on the harddrive.
>>>
>> this sounds really off to me. virtual memory works by taking a block of
>> memory and putting it on the harddrive. the address does not change,
>> there will simply be nothing to where it points. hence virtual memory
>> *does not* extend your limit past 2gb or 3gb, whatever your OS has.
>>

> But how about a RAM-disc?

a ram disk enables you to use a part of the ram as a harddrive. speeds
up disk I/O, used commonly for /tmp-filesystems on unix, but has nothing
to do with 32-bit addressing limitations.

Johan Henriksson
MSc Engineering
PhD student, Karolinska Institutet
http://mahogny.areta.org http://www.endrov.net