CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2010

From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:33:47 -0000

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at ways to further improve the performance and efficiency of
our light sources.

There are always tradeoffs when doing this and I'd like to better
understand what tradeoffs are acceptable for real microscopy users.

Our present illumination sources all use a switched-mode pre-regulation
and a linear final regulation for the LED power, so ripple is very low,
but at a cost for us of some power wasted in the linear stages.

I can improve that efficiency and reduce the waste by foregoing the
linear stage and regulating directly with the switching mode, but the
tradeoffs are a longer On/Off switching time than is feasible with
linear, and a high-frequency ripple.

My simulations suggest switch-on and switch-off times of around 50us and
a ripple of around 25% at 100kHz, which would be reasonable from an
electrical/energy point of view.

The question is, of course, would any of the people likely to use it
find that performance difficult or unacceptable?

I've copied to the list rather than posting direct, so hopefully the
replies will come to me rather than cluttering the list.

Thanks for considering the question, even if you need not, or choose
not, to answer.

Kind regards,
		 Gordon.
 --
 Gordon Scott  Design Engineering
	    Custom Interconnect Ltd.   http://www.cil-uk.co.uk

This message has been scanned by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com

This message and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. Any unauthorized use or disclosure, in whole or in part, is prohibited. E-mails are subject to possible alteration. Custom Interconnect Ltd and the sender decline any liability if this message and/or any attachments have been altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender immediately.

Custom Interconnect Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 2026753. Registered office: CIL House 48 Charlton road Andover, Hampshire United Kingdom SP103JL.