CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2010

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:33:51 -0500

>I always wonder if a water immersion lens is
>better than an oil immersion lens for live cell
>imaging. Both have the wrong RI for cells. Water
>too low, oil too high. However, the NA of an oil
>lens is higher than from a water lens, so the
>oil objective should be more light efficient and
>your resolution should be a little better. Or am
>I wrong....?
>
>kees

Hi Kees,

Yes, I am afraid that you are wrong. The higher
NA rays, that an NA 1.4 lens might accept if it
were used with an oiled specimen, are totally
reflected at the water-glass interface and do not
get into the objective. Oil lenses work well for
TIRF because the "specimen" is just the thin
layer near the interface in which fluorescence is
excited by the evanescent wave. But the cone of
light that actually forms the image (i.e., not
counting the part that is probably used for the
high-angle excitation) will still be about NA
1.25.

The other "thin aqueous biological specimens"
that were productively viewed with an oil
objective were the various fiber systems
(isolated microtubules, actin filaments etc.
lying on a slide, in media) that were visualized
using video-enhanced contrast DIC by Shinya Inoue
and Robert Allen back in the early 1980s.
Although the exact quantum-mechanical explanation
of the interactions near this specimen is beyond
me, it seems likely that these structures were so
close to the glass that they were essentially
part of it in terms of maximum angle at which
scattered rays could enter the objective. In any
case, the raw resolution of the recorded images
was about that of a normal  NA 1.4 objective with
the green light that they used. The ability to
visualize much smaller structures was more a
"detection of their presence on a clear
background" than a matter of resolving them.

The rationale for using oil in those days was
that there really weren't any good, high-NA water
objectives available.  (Here is a good place to
reemphasize Guy's point about the absolute
necessity of carefully adjusting the coverslip
correction collar. At NA 1.2, aim for an accuracy
of <+/- 2µm of water-replaced-by glass. This is
less important with oil objectives because oil
and coverslip have about the same RI.)

As the RI of water is about 1.33, one might
assume that one could use an objective with an NA
of up to 1.33. The reason this doesn't help much
is that, although the rays between 1.2 and 1.33
may not be totally reflected at the water-glass
interface, they are still highly reflected. (Just
remember how bright the image of the sun is when
it reflects off a pane of glass at glancing
incidence. Although some sunlight is still being
refracted through the glass into the building, it
will be dim because most of the light was
reflected.)

And finally, as mentioned by others, there is the
matter of spherical aberration (apparently my
favorite topic!). How is this important? If you
are looking at large fluorescent objects
(say >1µm), then it isn't quite so important.
Assuming it is not lost to reflection at the
glass-water interface, a larger NA lens will
accept more light and if it is not absorbed or
reflected while passing through the optics, this
light will end up in the image somewhere close to
its proper location, making the blob appear
brighter than it would be otherwise. However, if
you are hoping that the higher NA of the oil lens
will yield  better resolution on a water
specimen, forget it. As Rimas Juskaitis makes
clear in Chapter 11 of The Handbook, even under
optimal conditions (i.e., the right oil, temp
etc) the best 1.4 objectives then available were
only free from phase error up to NA 1.35 (i.e.,
the rays between 1.35 and 1.4 were passing the
objective but not being focused properly and
hence not contributing the a reduction in the
imaged size of a point object.) I don't know how
the newer 1.45, 1.49 and 1.65 objectives would
perform under his very stringent test conditions
but I would like to point out that he only got
the old ones to work at 1.35 by controlling the
oil temperature to +/- 1deg C.

Once SA is present, the image of a point object
gets bigger in a complicated way (it is hard to
define the PSF of an aberrated image with a
single number.). This means not only that the
resolution is reduced, but that that the
brightest part of this image will be dimmer than
it would have been without the aberration. i.e.
The high-NA oil image of a point object will be
dimmer than the aberration-free image from a
water lens with slightly lower "faceplate" NA.
The best plan is to always include small (<.3µm)
fluorescent beads in your preparations and before
you start imaging "for real," focus up and down
on the beads "by eye" to make sure that the
slightly-out-of-focus image seen above focus,
looks very much like that seen the same amount
below focus. If this is true, then SA should not
be a problem.

What I am trying to say is that resolution isn't
always proportional to the number on the side of
the objective. Everything else has to be
"perfect" and it seldom is. As you point out,
cells are neither water or oil. It is worse than
that. Their internal RI is extremely variable,
which is why DIC and phase show strong contrast
of subcellular details.

But that is another story for another hour...

Regards,

Jim Pawley

Prof. James B. Pawley,               		            Ph.  608-263-3147
Room 223, Zoology Research
Building,              	            FAX
608-265-5315
1117 Johnson Ave., Madison, WI, 53706
3D Microscopy of Living Cells Course, June 11-23, 2011, UBC, Vancouver Canada
Info: http://www.3dcourse.ubc.ca/
Applications still being accepted
	       "If it ain't diffraction, it must be statistics." Anon.

--
James and Christine Pawley, 21 N. Prospect Ave.
Madison, WI, 53726   Phone: 608-238-3953