CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2011

From:
Tobias Baskin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:25:53 +0200

Hi all,
	This is not a "confocal" question but rather a cell
bio/microscopy related one. Nevertheless, I am hoping someone will be
able to answer.

	I co-teach a cell biology lab course where students learn how
to use conventional epi fluorescence and video microscopy. We have a
variety of "cells in action" labs for them to do, one of these being
endocytosis. As markers, e have used labeled-transferrin and also DiI
labeled LDL, with the idea being  that the transferrin is recycled
back to the plasma membrane whereas the LDL moves into lysosomes.
While the transferrin labeling seems to work more or less as
expected, results with the DiI LDL are erratic. Sometimes there is no
labeling at all, and we never have seen what looks like deep internal
labeling in putative lysosomes.

	We plan to troubleshoot later this summer but as none of us
have studied endocytosis, we have no first hand experience. I am
wondering if anyone out there knows of a tried and true endocytosis
cell bio lab? Or perhaps knows about some tricks for handling DiI
LDL. Or perhaps it is a matter of a good cell line -- we work
typically with a 3T3 fibroblasts or LLCPK epithelial cells (with
equally dismal results for the DiI LDL endocytosis).

	Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

	As ever
		Tobias Baskin
--
      /  \   /          / \    /   \ \        Tobias I. Baskin