CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2011

From:
Barbara Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2011 12:59:30 -0500

Hi, Daniel

A couple of quick comments:
Re: Uranyl glass ... because it emits low doses of radiation, it is
not considered safe here in the US.  We have some sources overseas,
but they have told us that they would probably be picked up as
terrorists if they started exporting to the US.

Re: "Use a power meter and measure the power at the objective" and
"not as practical":
Take a look a the new XP750 from Lumen Dynamics (formerly
EXFO).  This neat little power meter was specifically designed to
mimic a microscope slide so that it sits flat on the stage and
measures the intensity right where you want it: at the sample
plane.  You can use it on an inverted or upright and with any type of
illuminator (lamp, LED, laser).  For those of you who took part in
our Illumination Study in 2008, you might have noticed two sneaky
questions about this device.  The response were huge.. and now it's
available... for real.

For further information, you can visit their website (
http://www.ldgi-xcite.com/products-xr2100-xp750.php).  Also, I have
an article coming out next month (July) in BioPhotonics written
around interviews from users in three key labs (Jen Waters' NIC at
Harvard, the YIP lab in Canada, and LBL).  If you want to chat with
someone, get in touch with their Sr. Apps Scientist, Dr. Kavita
Aswant (P:  1 905 812-3342, E: [log in to unmask]).  I know she'd
welcome hearing from you.

Caveat: No commercial interest.

Good hunting!
Barbara Foster, President and Sr. Consultant

M icroscopy/Microscopy Education
P: (972)924-5310
W: <http://www.microscopyeducation.com/>www.MicroscopyEducation.com