CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2011

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2011 14:15:31 -0600

I feel your pain!  I have a pair of prisms in my compressor.  Whenever I
change my Ti:Saph's wavelength I have to realign the prisms.  The automated
systems like the Deepsee and Vision  do this for you, but they are
expensive.  One trick I am currently working on is overcompensating with
chirped mirrors, then using glass wedges to bring the pulse back into
optimum.  If I put the wedges on a translation stage it is a simple matter
to slide a wedge in and out of the beam path.  It would only be a single
adjustment, and I can mark the micrometer which moves the wedge for
different wavelengths.  I am going to have a set of wedges custom-designed
for Ti:Saph lasers.  I had great success with this for my prism compressor.
 I got a company to cut and anti-reflection coat them to my design; I plan
on having the same thing done for the wedges.  Since we're talking about it,
would anyone be interested in a positive-dispersion-control pair of glass
wedges designed for Ti:Saph lasers?  The more the company produces for me in
a batch the cheaper they are individually.  If anyone wants to get on-board
give me an email; prices will probably be under $1000 for two wedges with AR
coatings and angles optimized for Ti:Saph lasers.  You put the two wedges
into a beam and move one or both back and forth.  This does not deviate the
beam and allows you to put controlled amounts of glass (I'm probably going
with fused silica) into the beam.  This lets you put controlled amounts of
positive dispersion on the beam to counteract an excess of negative from
your chirped mirrors or whatever you are using.

Craig