CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2011

From:
John Oreopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:18:37 -0500

Hello,

A friend of mine recently made me aware of a newly published paper that delivers a fairly comprehensive analysis of many different organic dyes that are suitable for super-resolution localization microscopy:

http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nmeth.1768.html

Evaluation of fluorophores for optimal performance in localization-based super-resolution imaging

	• Graham T Dempsey
	• Joshua C Vaughan
	• Kok Hao Chen
	• Mark Bates
	• Xiaowei Zhuang

Abstract:

One approach to super-resolution fluorescence imaging uses sequential activation and localization of individual fluorophores to achieve high spatial resolution. Essential to this technique is the choice of fluorescent probes; the properties of the probes, including photons per switching event, on-off duty cycle, photostability and number of switching cycles, largely dictate the quality of super-resolution images. Although many probes have been reported, a systematic characterization of the properties of these probes and their impact on super-resolution image quality has been described in only a few cases. Here we quantitatively characterized the switching properties of 26 organic dyes and directly related these properties to the quality of super-resolution images. This analysis provides guidelines for characterization of super-resolution probes and a resource for selecting probes based on performance. Our evaluation identified several photoswitchable dyes with good to excellent performance in four independent spectral ranges, with which we demonstrated low–cross-talk, four-color super-resolution imaging.

Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but there's lots of valuable information here. I seem to recall there many have been a similar review that looked at the differences between the various photo-activatable / photo-switchable fluorescent proteins as well. The only one that comes to mind right now is this one:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2818.2011.03505.x/abstract

Highlights of the optical highlighter fluorescent proteins

	• G. H. Patterson

Abstract:

The development of super-resolution microscopy techniques using molecular localization, such as photoactivated localization microscopy, fluorescence photoactivated localization microscopy, stochastic optical reconstruction microscopy, photoactivated localization microscopy with independent running acquisition and many others, has heightened interest in molecules that will be grouped here into a category referred to as ‘optical highlighter’ fluorescent proteins. This review will survey many of the advances in development of fluorescent proteins for optically highlighting sub-populations of fluorescently labelled molecules.

To me it seems that there are new probes for super-resolution imaging being developed and described in the literature almost monthly now. It's a bit hard to keep up with all that. What might be the best and brightest probe today might not be so in a year's time. We live in exciting times, I guess.

Cheers,

John Oreopoulos
Research Assistant
Spectral Applied Research