CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2011

From:
Vitaly Boyko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vitaly Boyko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 07:54:20 -0800
I am a bit lost as well here.

If CFP-YPF tagged proteins

Hi Kees,

I am a bit lost as well here.

If CFP-YPF tagged proteins are "diluted" with untagged proteins and increased FRET signal is reported, it might also point out to a more complex situation such as self-quenching of acceptor-by-acceptor and possible oligomerization (rather than dimerization of CFP-YFP tagged molecules). I would assume that CFP and/or YFP, being dimers themselves, could also stabilize any proteins that are expected to form a dimer, especially if local concentration of CFP or YFP is ca. 100-200uM or even less!!!
Monomeric CeFP or YFP might help, only a bit I would guess. Though I did lots of experiments in that direction, I did not have enough time to analyze it comprehensively. However, I have also not seen careful comparative FRET study of different FRET pairs (e.g. CeFP or YFP with or without A206K vs CeFP (YFP) with all three A206K, L221K, F223R monomeric mutations, etc.) with good and convincing statistics and accurate quantitative analysis on a voxel-by-voxel basis (or 3x3x3 VOIs).

It would be good to know what was the imaging setup used in the FRET experiment including time post transfection. I have seen lots of strange things if images were taken later that 18 hours post transfection in HELA cells with less than 1 ug of total DNA per 35mm dish.

Thus, statement of FLIM-FRET independence of concentration is only true in theory (or with highly soluble donors and acceptors in a test tube) in an environment that is free of oligomerization or non-specific aggregation of CFP/YFP tagged proteins (CFP/YFP are hydrophobic and sticky to membranes at high concentrations). And in real experiment it could be a mixture of true dimers and artefactual oligomers. And it might be difficult to separate true dimers from oligomers withing a single 3x3x3 VOI.

I can also tell you that in BiFC experiment, when mCherry was fused to split venusYFP, very strong BiFC signal (reconstituted venusYFP) has been recorded already at 12 hours post transfection pointing out either to weakness of BiFC system or non-monomeric nature of "pseudo"???-monomeric mCherry.

Thus, "clean" quantitative imaging is still a challenging task. There are some solutions to it - one of them is here - every Research Institution should have an established PI with strong background in Fundamental Biophysics, possibly with a degree in Physics rather than Biology. Promoting broadly integrated inter disciplinary environment is a priority that politicians are not aware of as they seem to be very busy with cleaning up the global economic "mess".

On an optimistic note -  with new tech developments, imaging and accurate image analysis gets better very fast.

Vitaly