CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2012

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2012 12:17:02 -0700

I've aligned laser launchers on numerous occasions like you describe.  The
screws are very twitchy in assemblies like these, but with patience you can
align them.  I find the best way is to put a power meter on the other end
of the fiber while I adjust the screws until I have maximum throughput.  It
requires a fair bit of playing around; it helps to figure out which screw
tilts the fiber coupler in what dirrection.  Usually it is a see-saw
configuration where one screw is a pivot and the other two push on opposite
sides of the lever.  This means when you tighten one screw you tend to have
to loosen another to get significant movement.  Once you get close to
maximum you then just very slightly tighten the screws sequentially until
you reach max power.

Craig