CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2012

From:
Carol Norris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2012 12:03:01 -0400

Hi Alex,

We have both a Pathology Devices stage top incubator (which we love!)
for temp, humidity and CO2 control and an OKOLabs microscope
enclosure on our confocal. We had problems with condensation on the
objectives (both dry and oil) during time lapse experiments at 37C
using just the stage top incubator.  In addition to being bad for
imaging, it also caused the autofocus to fail.   Our policy now is
that any 37C imaging must be done with both the microscope enclosure
(set at 35C) and the stage top incubator (set at 37C).  I also feel
better that people using oil objectives are now actually imaging at
37C!  Although it's not too difficult to work with the OKOLabs box,
we remove the front panel to make it easier for folks who are imaging
at room temp.  The only other thing you have to keep an eye on is the
room temp - the microscope enclosure pumps a fair amount of heat out
into the room.

Regards,
Carol