CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

From:
Chris Tully <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2013 12:45:59 -0500

**** Semi Commercial Reply ****

I used to work for Aperio (nearly 1000 of the Digital Pathology
Association's estimated 1500 - 2000 installations world wide), but was laid
off in Dec 2012 as part of their on going merger with Leica Biosystems.

Given the nature of slide scanning these systems are great for large areas
but not for time lapse and not for live or even unfixed specimens.

When it comes to bacteria, you also need to be careful to do a live
evaluation of the system on offer - can you see what you need to see in the
images it produces.  I never tried to scan a bacterial smear on an Aperio
ScanScope, but I was asked to scan some slides of gut tissue stained for H.
pilori, and even at 40x (the maximum resolution of the system being
evaluated) the details that the pathologists were looking for were not
there - this was no surprise though because they could not have seen those
details on a standard microscope even with 40x oil. By contrast, I always
had very good results scanning CytoSpin slides.

My advise is to scan _YOUR_ slides on every scanner you are considering and
pick the one that gives the best image.

Feel free to contact me through this list, through my personal email (
[log in to unmask]) or through my new consulting company (Image Incyte, LLC)
at [log in to unmask] for further discussion.

Chris Tully
Microscopy and Image Analysis Expert
240-475-9753 (c)

[image: View my profile on LinkedIn]<http://www.linkedin.com/in/christully/>