CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2013

From:
John Oreopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2013 06:28:13 -0400

Dear Kees,

Welcome to murky world of FRET imaging! For those researchers who have taken the time to compare different FRET microscopy methods (such as myself) on the same biological system, I would suspect they would say this is not an uncommon result. I too was never able to get the same FRET efficiency values when I performed acceptor photobleaching and sensitized emission imaging (in my case intermolecular FRET as measured by CFP and YFP labeled versions of the same GPI protein - we were looking for oligomers of the protein in the cell membrane). There have been a number of papers reporting/debating the conversion of YFP into a "CFP-like" emitter after photobleaching. For example, see here:

Valentin, G., et al., Photoconversion of YFP into a CFP-like species during acceptor photobleaching FRET experiments. Nature Methods, 2005. 2(11): p. 801-801.

Thaler, C., et al., Photobleaching of YFP does not produce a CFP-like species that affects FRET measurements. Nature Methods, 2006. 3(7): p. 491-491.

Valentin, G., et al., Photobleaching of YFP does not produce a CFP-like species that affects FRET measurements - response. Nature Methods, 2006. 3(7): p. 492-493.

Verrier, S.E. and H.D. Soling, Photobleaching of YFP does not produce a CFP-like species that affects FRET measurements. Nature Methods, 2006. 3(7): p. 491-492.

Seitz, A., et al., Quantifying the influence of yellow fluorescent protein photoconversion on acceptor photobleaching-based fluorescence resonance energy transfer measurements. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 2012. 17(1).

I am currently participating in the annual Quantitative Imaging course at the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in New York. Two days ago we had a nice lecture by George Patterson on the history and application of fluorescent proteins in molecular biology. I asked him what the latest was on this topic and he said that not everyone observes the YFP to CFP-like conversion. The process is not understood well and he thinks it may depend in part on the molecular environment of the probe in each case. He also mentioned that researchers he had met who in the past had not observed the process at some time later said that better detection methods showed the process was occurring at some level in their studied systems. I think the most interesting fact I gained from this lecture was that many of the natural and engineered fluorescent proteins undergo some kind of photoconversion or photoactivation process (he calls them optical highlighters). He emphasized that one should pay attention to the lineage of the fluorescent protein they're using since some of the mutations and even the species of origin of the fluorescent protein lead to stronger photoconversion/photoactivation properties, ie: some YFPs are better than others when it comes to avoiding this effect. It is for this reason and my past personal experience that I am wary of acceptor photobleaching FRET methods now.

The difficulties associated with measuring sensitized emission FRET don't make the situation any better, but I would be more inclined to believe this type of experimental result if the control experiments are done well and the instrumentation performance is checked (image registration, bleed-through correction, etc.). I think the experts out there on FRET microscopy would say that the better approach is to turn to time-resolved FRET measurements like FLIM, but of course these methods are more costly and complex sometimes. Lastly, I would point out there is another lesser known FRET imaging method that involves imaging polarization changes in one fluorescent protein rather than detecting intensity changes between two fluorescent proteins. This method is called "homogenous FRET" and has been shown to be one of the more sensitive methods to detect the presence of FRET, but it does not yield an efficiency value. I have used it before, and it agreed with my sensitized emission FRET results. The method is reviewed in this paper by Dave Piston:

Piston, D.W. and M.A. Rizzo, FRET by fluorescence polarization microscopy, in Fluorescent proteins, second edition. 2008, Elsevier Academic Press Inc: San Diego. p. 415-430.

Cheers,

John Oreopoulos
Staff Scientist
Spectral Applied Research