CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2014

From:
Zdenek Svindrych <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2014 14:20:31 +0100

Hi Christophe,

repeating your calculations I arrived at 0.5 kW/cm^2. Still not too much...
Some samples can still blink, just try it!

Unfortunately I don't know of any "standard blinking sample" that could help
you to reliably estimate the illumination intensity. My (standard) way is to
measure the laser power at some convenient place in the setup (I prefer the
back of the objective lens), measure the illuminated area and make some
assumptions about other effects, such as lens efficiency and homogeneity of
illumination.

If you are able to control the "TIRF condition" (the position of the spot at
the back focal plane of your objective lens), you might be able to put the
beam near the center of the objective. Then a low divergence beam will exit
the objective and you can measure the power in the sample space. But
remember that less light gets through the objective when you approach the
TIRF condition...

Also homogeneity of illumination is important in STORM (and hard to achieve
in TIRF). Maybe most of the light is concentrated in the center of your FOV
leading to much higher intensity there.

The way to get high illumination intensity is to focus the beam to smaller
FOV. My camera can only see 80 um by 80 um and I usually illuminate even
smaller region... You can try to achieve this by using smaller fiber
diameter (if your TIRF arm uses critical illumination) or fiber with lower
NA (for Koehler illumination). Adjustable field stop will of course not
increase the intensity, but it may eliminate some unwanted effects of uneven
illumination.

Good luck!

zdenek svindrych
Prague