CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2014

From:
Müller,Tobias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2014 07:40:26 +0000
Hi,

As far as I understand it, there is no interference between beams of different wavelength, and - at least in the case of the cardboard cat - also no phaseshift introduced by the sample (the cat is a simple cardboard cutout, it cannot shift the phase).

Here's how I understood it (confirmation or disproval by others very much welcome):

Without the nonlinear crystals and the infrared beampath this is simply a Michelson interferometer. Since path g and h (fig.1) lead to constructive / destructive interference, respectively, the phase shift between path c and e, meeting at BS2, must be introduced by one or both of the beamsplitters. So in this configuration, the detection probability for path h (Ph) would be zero (destructive interference), and Pg would be at max (constructive interference).

Even with the addition of the infrared beampath, nothing changes as long as there is no object. The paper states that "...if no object is placed in the setup, Ph = 0.", meaning that destructive interference at path h leads to zero detection probability.

Even after insertion of the object (the cat), it is still the same for the empty, cat-shaped center. Interference makes this shape bright in g, and dark in h, just as the whole image would be without an object.

The weird stuff happens where the cardboard blocks the infrared beampath d: Here, the signal photons do not interfere anymore. _That_ is actually the spatial information the camera detects: interference inside the cat, no interference outside. Both detectors (or halves of the camera chip) show uniform intensity in the outside region.

Why can there be no interference if path d is blocked? Because the infrared beam provides a means to discriminate which beampath a signal photon has taken. There are two possibilities:

1) If, at any signal photon detection event at g/h, there is a coincident detection of an IR photon at a (hypothetical) detector at the end of the IR beampath, this means that the signal photon took path e.
Quote: "if T = 0 , an idler detected after D3, coincident with a signal count at g or h, would imply the signal source was NL2."

2) If it occurs without a coincident IR detection, it would necessarily have taken path c (leading to a blocking of the IR (idler) photon).
Quote: "Detection of a signal photon without a coincident idler would imply the signal source wasNL1".

The IR beampath serves as a means to discriminate the signal beampaths c and e if IR-beam d is blocked, but preventing discrimination if IR-beam d is not blocked. However, once paths c and e are clearly distinguishable, a signal photon cannot interfere anymore. As long as there is no information as to which path it took, it has a 50% chance to go via [a -> c], and a 50% chance to go via [b -> e]. It actually takes neither one path nor the other, but both (similar as Schroedinger's cat being alive and dead at the same time). It interferes with itself. Once a measurement takes place (Schroedinger looking into the box / the presence or non-presence of a coincident IR photon revealing which beampath the signal photon took), the ambiguity ends and interference cannot happen.

What actually boggles the mind, however, is the fact that there is actually no detector for the IR photon. It is not even necessary to do the measurement. It is enough that the possibility exists (Quote: "The above arguments are valid even though the idler photons are not detected, for it is only the possibility of obtaining which-source information that matters in this experiment.")

I hope I have actually understood it correctly. I just puzzled this together for myself and I would appreciate what others think about it.
Also, I am wondering if this or something like it would be applicable to fluorescence imaging in any way. My gut tells me no, but I cannot quite put my finger on it.

Best,
Tobias