CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2015

From:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2015 21:48:14 +0000

Hi David,
those powers could potentially be made to work at a pinch, if you were prepared to limit yourself to a very small field of view, but in general around 200-500mW, or possibly even higher is where you want to be. The 405 probably already has enough power as is. Are you planning on doing PALM (fluorescent proteins) or STORM(organic dyes)? In my opinion, the first laser to replace would be the 640, as this is where you will get the most mileage. A good 200mW laser at 640nm should go for somewhere in the vicinity of 7-8K. If you are prepared to go longer, reasonable  but decidedly  no-frills 671nm lasers at ~ 1W can be had from Viasho for about 2K (although there are some caveats with using this wavelength).  A good 561/568nm laser would probably be the next  step - although these are typically more expensive (12-15k). You will also want to replace the TIRF coupler (probably with something home built) as the stock one spreads the laser light out over too large a field of view to be useful (ideally you want to just illuminate an area the size of your camera FOV, potentially even smaller). Depending on how your current focusing is implemented, you might want to consider a piezo-focusser and/or some form of 'perfect focus' scheme.
I've got a custom system based on a Nikon Ti running down here in New Haven - if you want to come down for a look, drop me an email at [log in to unmask]
cheers,David