CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2015

From:
Kevin Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2015 15:00:01 +0000
It's been a while since I cracked those textbooks, but...

As I remember long-past classes in signal processing, the extra 0.3 is a fairly heuristic buffer to ensure that you have sufficient high frequency information to recover data at the band limit. For an in-focus widefield microscope the modulation transfer function (MTF) decreases in a near-linear fashion, with average intensities (zero frequencies) coming through intact, and frequencies near the cutoff having very low values.

Frequencies just below the sampling limit are, however, _just_ detectable, and that may be impossible in the presence of noise. Sampling somewhat _above_ the Nyquist limit prevents the sampling limit (where frequencies are barely, theoretically, detectable) from utterly compounding the MTF reduction, and provides some chance of accurately capturing (and potentially restoring, for example through deconvolution) those high frequencies. And in practice 2.3 has been a reasonable factor for this across multiple application domains.

Kevin Ryan
Media Cybernetics, Inc.