CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2015

From:
Michael Giacomelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2015 13:04:15 -0500

Hi Zdenek,

The refractive index (or vp in the case of a cable) specifies the
group velocity, not the group velocity dispersion (GVD), the latter
being the one that you care about.  You can have a lot of cabling and
amplification in your system so long as you are careful to manage GVD.
For our swept source optical coherence systems, for instance, we
measure femtosecond time of flight differences though tens or even
hundreds of nanoseconds of group delay.  We just very, very carefully
match the group delay between timing and signal arms while minimizing
the GVD.  If you look at some of the really high end transimpedance
amplifiers, they actually spec the group delay vs. frequency for this
reason.

I do something similar for FLIM measurements.

Mike