CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2015

From:
Thomas Pengo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2015 13:33:37 -0500

Hi Gary,

DPI is just dots-per-inch, so 8''x11'' (inches) at 300 dpi is an image of
2400x3300 pixels. If your camera outputs, say, 1392x1040, you have three
options, assuming your na+objective+magnification+pixel size combination is
already calibrated to capture the maximum resolution efficiently:

A. perform a mosaic of 3x3. You get a larger area of your sample.
B. perform a mosaic of 3x3, with a higher magnification (3 times, e.g.).
You get the a higher resolution image of the same area. You might have to
deal with the different depth-of-field of the different objective (e.g.
stacks+EDF).
C. scale the image up by a factor of 3 (in ImageJ/Fiji the menu item is
"Image/Scale..."). You get a "bigger" image, you comply with the
requirements, but you're going to get a blurry image, because you're
"guessing" what values are between pixels.

Hope this helps!
Thomas