CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2015

From:
Jeff Carmichael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 2015 14:38:46 -0400

Martin,

Some of this could also be scattered light from the TIRF laser, "piping" in
along the beads...

Independent of other optical performance, the degree of flatness of the
dichroic surface influences performance in TIRF, such that "flatter"
dichroics largely eliminate some artifacts like interference patterns in the
image or specular reflections or detection of other stray light.  The level
of surface flatness that we've arrived at to be sufficiently flat (in most
cases) for a dichroic surface (measured after mounting into a microscope
filter cube) is approx:   =< 0.5 waves/inch Peak-to-Valley RWD (Reflected
Wavefront Distortion) for 2mm-thick dichroics which we use as the "standard"
TIRF configuration.  We also offer  =< 0.25 Peak-to-Valley waves/inch
Peak-to-Valley RWD

We've found that this alone  (changing to a cube in the microscope
fluorescence turret which housed a flatter dichroic)) results in better
signal/noise, and have some data indicating that this is at least partly
because fewer TIRF laser photons are propagated directly into the sample and
are instead properly reflected - maybe because of an improved surface
flatness profile.  We also have much anecdotal data and customer feedback
which is consistent with greater signal/noise and lack of problematic
artifacts, and limiting of fluorescence to the TIRF zone.

This is also at least partially due to the increased levels of TIRF laser
attenuation that our fully-assembled TIRF cubes provide.  At the risk of
being crass, an example albeit commercial, is described below of improving
the TIRF performance of an advanced and appropriately configured  microscope
in TIRF mode detecting fluorescent beads, as you describe.  In this case,
the beads are coating the surface of a coverglass and also suspended above
those beads, diluted in a layer of agarose on the surface of the coverglass.
https://www.chroma.com/sites/default/files/TIRF.pdf

With one dichroic (good quality, sputtered coating, fused silica, basic
laser quality flatness), beads were visible several microns into the sample
in TIRF mode in a 3D data set.  When we simply changed cubes,
reset/reconfirmed TIRF beyond the critical angle as before, these deep
objects were not detected in an otherwise identical data set.  SIM data
shows that the fluorescent objects in the first (beyond the TIRF zone) case
correlate to real objects suspended in the agarose, and undetected in the
second case.  Neither changing cubes back and forth, nor any particular
order of imaging had any detectable independent effect.

Best,
Jeff

Jeff Carmichael
Technical and Product Marketing Mgr.