CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1995

From:
Bill Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 1995 16:36:38 -0400
On Wed, 24 May 1995, Mario Stargard wrote:

> In article <[log in to unmask]>  writes:
> > >I don't think it is the best place for advertisement!
> > >
> > >Pawel
> >

> >         I disagree with Pawel....I KNOW this isn't the best place for an
> > advertisement...

>         I don't understand why you think this is coming from an educational
> institution.  From this header:

> it looks like this was spammed from rtd.com in Arizona, an internet provider.
> I've since mailed [log in to unmask] informing him of this spam.  My understanding
> of the American law is that a provider isn't responsible for the content of
> information sent out, unless he is aware of it.  Therefore, I make the system
> administrator aware of what's going on whenever I see a spam.
> --

Yeah, I got email from the netsrve guy at american.edu, Jim McIntosh.
He stated that the netserve software puts its own address as the
originator whenever the "real" origin address is malformed, thus
making it appear that the gateway is the perpetrator when instead
they are a neutral service.  Poor guy.

Apparently the spam does originate from the infamous Cantor
and Spiegel net.abusers. To quote Mr. McIntosh (I think that this is one
case where quoting email won't bother anyone):

With regards to the current spam, it appears to be a Cantor & Spiegel
job. These are the two lawyers who have formed a company to generate
spams. You can complain the them at [log in to unmask], but I doubt it will
do any good as they fully intended to do this.

Jim McIntosh ([log in to unmask])

I guess the only thing one can do with this is to perhaps write via
snail mail to the offending company, letting them know that by
using Cantor and Spiegal they are doing more harm than good.  They
may not even be aware of the C&S practices.  For those of you interested
in C&S, you might take a look at news.admin.net-abuse.misc.

billo