CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1996

From:
Glen Macdonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:47:33 -0800
Martin,
Several labs here at UW have had similar problems in performing
ftp transfers of Bio-Rad .pic files from PC to Mac, and even PC to PC.
Files are often corrupted, especially multi-image .pic. Converting to .tif
allows about 2/3 of the files to be successfully transferred.  This occurs
regardless whether it is a direct ftp from desktop to desktop or if they
are routed through Unix servers.  I now suspect there is something to do
with the ethernet system in use on our campus.  Until the problem can
be tracked down our workaround is using PKZip to compress the .pic
files at
the confocal, then performing binary ftp, and unzipping the files on the Mac
using ZipIt.  ZipIt is a PKZip compatible zip utility for the Mac. Both
compression utilities are fairly fast so it's not too painful.

Glen MacDonald
   Research Scientist
Hearing Research Laboratories of the
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 35-7923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195-7923
(206) 616-4156