CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 1996

From:
Bill Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 11:46:23 -0500
On Mon, 16 Dec 1996 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Alex Sossick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > I would like to know what software people are using to image process
> > their data sets from the Confocal on the SGI? I am at present comparing
> > all the image processing programs available, not just on the SGI.
>
> We have an Odyssey XL confocal laser microscope  (Noran Instruments)
> connected to a SGI. We have consider the Intervision software (Noran
> Instruments) as a primer visualization tool running on the SGI.
> By the other hand, when we are interested in advanced visualization
> resources we have processed our images in the Application Visualization
> System (AVS) running on a Sun Sparc10 platform. We have also consider
> Khorus as a development environment running on a Sun UltraSparc.

We also have used AVS for our toolbuilding for 3D visualization.
We have found it useful for putting together visualization tools for
specific tasks.  For instance, I wrote a 3D tool to help our
technologist count interphase chromosomes more efficiently.  It
took me about a week and a half to put the thing together
(and two weeks to write the manual, heh). If you're really
interested, you can see the front end that the technologist
used in Analytical and Quantitative Cytology and Histology
18:407,1966.  The controls for the processing used
a different screen.

AVS comes with some standard image processing modules,
but does not come with deconvolution software.  Basically, with
AVS you can expect to be able to construct general image processing
apps "off the shelf" from supplied and easily-availble public
domain modules.  If you want more specialized fundtion, you would either
have to write your own or get the "guts" of the deconvolution
software from someone else and shove it into a module yourself.

billo