CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 17:04:26 ...
Reply from Bio-Rad re: Enhanced Photomultipliers.

Rui Malho asks the straight question `Can we expect a (Bio-Rad) "enhanced PMT"
to have a sensitivity increased by a factor of 2 (or more) at similar voltage
inputs when compared to a "standard PMT".

The answer is yes.

The Bio-Rad enhancer is a prism assembly mounted on the front window of the PMT.
In our MRC-1024 brochure there is a diagram of the enhancer. It works in the
following way.

All photons in the beam are deflected into the photocathode of the detector at a
critically chosen angle. Multiple internal reflections inside the front window
result in multiple interaction with the photocathode (via an evanescent wave)
and a consequent  increase in Quantum Efficiency by a factor of up to two in the
detection range 400nm to 700nm. More photo-electrons per photon leads directly
to the highest quality images. Note that the enhancer only works if the incident
light is nearly parallel, as is the case in the Bio-Rad confocal design.

How do we know that there is an enhancement?  Because we measure the performance
of each individual PMT during assembly both before and after the enhancer is
attached.

The important thing to understand is that the enhancement is in the quantum
efficiency i.e. sensitivity of the PMT. This is what matters. The sensitivity is
almost independent of gain (i.e. tube voltage). This is what you would expect
since the efficiency with which light is converted into electrons is a property
of the photocathode and enhancer (if fitted) and not the voltage applied to the
tube. Because the image gets brighter when you increase the gain does NOT mean
that you are detecting more photons. If you need to convince yourself of this,
image a featureless sample such as fluorescent plastic and measure the signal
and standard deviation of a selected area at different PMT voltages. The ratio
will not change much with voltage.  ( Square the ratio and you have worked out
the absolute number of photons detected, thanks to Poisson statistics.)

One last point.  2 photomultipliers of identical quantum efficiency may require
different operating voltages to produce an image of the same brightness. This is
because the gain of the 2 tubes is different.  However, for the same microscope
settings (laser intensity, confocal aperture etc.) the signal/noise in the image
will be the same with both PMT's and will be broadly independent of the actual
voltage applied.

 I hope that this helps to clarify the situation.

Dr. Andrew Dixon
Scientific Director
Bio-Rad Microscopy Division