CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

From:
Janine LaSalle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:43:20 -0500
Roel van Driel inquired:

>I am looking for commercial suppliers of chromosome specific probes that can
>be used for chromosome painting in interphase nuclei. I have information
>from Cambio (Cambrigde, UK), but there must be more companies on the market.

In the US, there are several companies that sell human chromosome painting
probes designed for clinical diagnosis of metaphase chromosomes.  Oncor
(Gaithersburg, MD, 310-990-8391), Vysis (Framingham, MA, 1-800-553-7042),
and Amersham (Arlington Heights, IL, 1-800-323-9750) all sell probes
labelled with biotin or digoxigenin (Oncor) or direct fluorescence labels
(Vysis and Amersham).  We have tried probes from all three of these
companies on metaphase and interphase.  The main problem I find with these
commercial probes is that since they are optimized to be idiot-proof for
clinical diagnostic labs, they come already mixed with competitor DNA in
hybridization solution, so it is difficult to alter the hybridization
conditions to optimize them for interphase nuclei.  So although we have no
problem detecting signal in interphase, the "painting" of the interphase
chromosome is not as ideal as the images that I've seen from labs where
they label and mix their own chromosome-specific probes.

Hope this helps,

Janine

Janine LaSalle Ph.D.            [log in to unmask]
Instructor of Pediatrics
Genetics Division               (617)355-7577 (phone)
Children's Hospital             (617)355-7588 (FAX)
300 Longwood Ave.
Boston, MA  02115