CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

From:
Sam Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:25:45 -0500
        Mathematical ecologists have tools for testing if individuals in a
population is dispersed without regard to their neighbors ('randomly') or
according to some other law.  A useful source is

Pielou, E.C. (1977) Mathematical ecology (Wiley and Sons, New York).

Most of it addresses 2-D distributions, but one test for randomness
ought to apply: if you count the number of neighbors within a fixed radius
of  individuals, that number should be Poisson-distributed.  I don't have the
original e-mail query but I the polynomial in question might be an
approximation for the Poisson distribution.

        Another convenient measure is the incidence of no neighbors in this
radius.  In an act of shameless self-promotion, I feel compelled to
cite one particularly insightful paper:

Wang, S.S.-H. and S.H. Thompson (1992) A-type potassium channel
clusters revealed using a new statistical analysis of loose patch data.
Biophys. J. 63:1018-1025.

This paper covers the cases of evaluating data with varying sample area and
clustered distributions.

Sam Wang