CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 1998

From:
Patty Jansma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:16:03 -0600
  As a follow-up to the discussion on Cooled CCD cameras, we have a
Photometrics Quantix camera with a grade 1 CCD chip which
was recently purchased for calcium imaging and live cell time lapse
imaging.
   We have run into the same problem from Photometrics as Jeff Reece has
with the Princeton camera concerning the reduced intensity(20 ADU units
lower than the adjacent columns) on 5 vertical columns. Since there is a
reduced signal instead of no signal, it is not considered a column defect.
We have also been told that it fits within specifications of the CCD chip.
I was told that had there been a note on the production crew  concerning
what the camera was to be used for that the chip could have been more
carefully screened. I thought we had done this as Scott Sternberg of
Photometrics knew how we plan to use the camera  and should have made a
note for the production group. I'm still awaiting his reply.
   I have been told to use a background subtraction as a method of
correction. It is inconvenient and shouldn't be necessary based on the
cost of the camera. Unfortunately, I think this what we have do.
   When purchasing a camera, I would check the specifications for the CCD
chip very carefully.

Patty Jansma                                    Tel:520-621-6671
Arizona Research Labs Division of Neurobiology
University of Arizona