CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 1999

From:
Ian Gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:14:42 +1030
Two points about filters "burning out"...

(1) We have had this happen only with mercury burner excitation lamps,
not with laser sources (but we usually use our only low laser power -
typically 1%). It takes about two to three years of regular use (up to
six hours per day) before the central part of the filter burns out - ie
goes dark, with a separation of the various layers that make up the
filter.

(2) It only happens with the excitation filters for green fluorophores
(ie excitation centred around 488nm or so)

The problem seems to be worse with filters that have very narrow
bandpasses. Most of our filters are custom-made made by Chroma - they
have replaced the burnt out ones at minimal charge, which is good of
them, since you could make a case that there is not much you can do
about this problem. We have tried putting heat absorbing filters into
the excitation light path (they are routinely there!), but it doens't
seem to make much difference. I assume that the problem is caused by the
filter heating up as a result of absorbed light and associated heat...
If you really want to see what all the focussed light / heat can do ,
have a look at the back (ie light side) of the light stop / shutter that
you use to cut off the light path in a fluorescence microscope - ours
all have really nice little zones burnt into them, heat / IR filters
notwithstanding!!

Hope that helps a bit

IAN

--