CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2017

From:
Kyle Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2017 09:15:19 +0100

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your replies. To summarize your responses as I
understand them so far:

1) Mounting of the dichroic is an absolutely critical step and first
thing to check when troubleshooting astigmatism. I was taking care to
tighten the set screws in the mount only to the extent required to
prevent the dichroic from falling out. However, it seems that even this
is suspect and can warp the dichroic surface enough to induce
astigmatism upon reflection.

2) Using double-sided tape or a silicone adhesive applied to the outside
edges of the dichroic is a better way to mount it; avoid applying any
pressure to the dichroics large front and back surfaces.

3) Using a flat mirror in place of the dichroic is one way to check
whether it's really the dichroic causing the astigmatism or something else.

4) Based on differing responses, it's still not clear to me whether a
splitter dichroic in the image space (as opposed to the infinity space)
is a workable solution or something to be avoided at all costs. I can
perhaps partially correct for the astigmatism with a flat compensator plate.

Now that I think about it, I had already known that a tilted coverslip
can induce coma, especially in water-immersion objectives
(http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.0022-2720.2004.01383.x/abstract
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.0022-2720.2004.01383.x/pdf>).
In general, coma (and astigmatism too, I think) originates from any
element where rays from common object points but traveling at different
azimuthal angles see different path lengths. I don't see why this logic
couldn't extend to a tilted dichroic in the image space as well.

Best regards,
Kyle