CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2011

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 14:32:03 -0700

Our lab went through this same question a year ago.  We were going to
purchase an Idesta Ti:Saph and we had the option to get 1GHz or 85MHz as
the repetition rate.  We went with 85MHz for two reasons:

1) Non-linear effects such as 2 photon are PEAK energy dependent, so you
have more efficient excitation (photons produces vs. power in) when you use
higher peak energy.
2) The lower repetition rate gives a bit of time for any flurophores to
relax between pulses.  In theory this leads to less photobleaching since
the dye has to be in the excited state and then be hit again in order for
photochemical bleaching to occur.  I don't buy into the 'less
photobleaching' claims of the GHz lasers for this reason.  I think overall
the GHz pulses just excite everything less, so sure you get less
photobleaching but also proportionally lower signal.  What you should care
about is bleaching occurring vs signal produced rather than just net lower
photobleaching.  After all, if you are producing too much signal you can
always turn the laser down or chirp the pulses out to get lower peak energy.

The one thing I could see a GHz laser being very good for is high-speed
video rate imaging.  You'd have lots of pulses per pixel so it would help
with noise.  The question would be if the lower peak energy would give you
enough signal at video rate.

Craig