CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2008

From:
"Armstrong, Brian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 09:33:41 -0800
Hege, just to add another data point, I concur with Alison. Our LSM510
NLO NDD system ("old" as Alison put it :( )was quite poor at 2P imaging
and the depths we measured were equivalent to Alison's. With our Prairie
Ultima using a Coherent Chameleon Ultra II we image in-vivo lymph nodes
to between ~300-500um, live mouse brain ~500-1000um, fixed pig brain
embryo ~ 1000um, and in-vivo tumor ~200-400um. There are many variables
that can affect depth that have been expounded on previously on the list
(lambda [ex,emm] clearing, fluorophore, GVD/pre-chirp, etc.,).
I also regret that I do not have experience with 2P NDD on the Lecia
SP5.

Yes, we see the bubbling as well. I assume that it is heat transfer that
occurs from the huge amount of power we are able to generate with our
laser. When doing in-vivo 2P imaging you do not have a lot of time to
waste trying to perfect your acquisition. Once you start scanning the
stop-watch is ticking!

Brian D Armstrong PhD
Light Microscopy Core Manager
Beckman Research Institute