CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2018

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2018 23:36:53 -0400

Hi Martin,

I chickened out on including (Komodo) dragon IgG in the (thought
experiment, not 'reduced to practice') table from our immunofluorescence
microscopy chapter (2011, book 1 chp 15 of
https://www.cshlpress.com/default.tpl?action=full&--eqskudatarq=872&typ=ps&newtitle=Imaging%3A%20A%20Laboratory%20Manual
... recycled from an earlier imaging book)

Tubulin               Mouse IgG1     Goat–anti-mouse IgG1 Alexa Fluor
488 Green
Actin                   Guinea pig IgG Goat–anti-guinea pig-IgG Lucifer
Yellow Yellow
Vimentin            Rat mAb IgM  Goat–anti-rat-IgM Cy3B Orange
Cytokeratin        Mouse IgG2a  Goat–anti-mouse IgG2a DyLight 594 (or
Texas Red) Red
Neurofilament  Chicken IgY     Goat–anti-chicken IgY HiLyte Fluor 647
(or Cy5) Far red
Nestin                 Rabbit IgG      Goat–anti-rabbit IgG Atto 680
Infrared
CD31                   Donkey IgG    Goat–anti-donkey IgG IRDye800 Infrared

Quite unwieldy!

for comparison, clinical flow cytometry is now 'routinely' done with a
lot more than 7plex direct labeled antibodies.

As for tissue section autofluorescence vs direct labeled antibody
brightness: there are now many ways to decrease autofluorescence before
imaging (I seem to be getting ads from Biotium once a week about their
stuff, for example ... various authors have published using UV
transilluminator to good and/or poor effect). There is also potential
for new (likely expensive) fluorescence microscopes, such as Leica SP8
FALCON (disclosure: our image core hosts FALCON workshop week of Sept
10, 2018 ... hmmm: maybe I should measure BV421 lifetime), or other Fast
FLIM instruments (whether upgrades or new). For examples, if NADH,
collagen, and elastin autofluorescence lifetimes are 1 nanosecond, and
organic dyes of similar spectra are each ~4 ns, could be 6plex just in
blues and greens, plenty of spectra for more.

enjoy,
George

On 8/23/2018 10:33 PM, Martin Wessendorf wrote:
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> I'm going to take issue with George on one point: I don't think that
> directly labeled primaries are necessarily the best way to go.  The
> beauty of indirect immunofluorescence is that you can combine a given
> primary antibody with any number of different fluorophores (in the
> form of fluorophore-conjugated secondary antibodies). Once you've
> characterized that primary antibody, you can be reasonably sure that
> it will label the same molecule no matter what color secondary
> antibody it's paired with (...assuming that the secondary works well
> enough to detect any labeling!).  In contrast, each different
> fluorophore-conjugate of a directly conjugated primary antibody, is a
> chemically different reagent that may have different binding
> properties and will need to be re-characterized for specificity.
> --I.e., you would be setting yourself up for a lot of extra work if
> you use directly conjugated primaries.  (If you've already
> characterized the specific reagents you'll be using, then this isn't
> an issue.)
>
> My two-cents worth!
>
> Martin Wessendorf
>

> On 8/23/2018 8:43 PM, George McNamara wrote:
>> *****
>> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your
>> posting.
>> *****
>>
>> As much as I am a fan of TSA (and look forward to the methyl-luminol
>> alternative), more multiplexing options:
>>
>> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29263082
>>
>> Pleiner et al 2018 JCB -A toolbox of anti-mouse and anti-rabbit IgG
>> secondary nanobodies.
>>
>> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29444803
>>
>> Commentary
>>
>> The commercial arm is www.nano-tag.com
>>
>> In many ways, nanobodies are an update of the "Pretty Poly" method of
>> Morris and Stanley 2003
>> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=pretty+poly+stanley
>>
>> see also Molecular Probes Zenon product line.
>>
>> These are not amplification.
>>
>> See also Brilliants and SuperBrights: ideally the fluorescence
>> microscopy community could be using the direct labeled fluorescent
>> antibodies routinely used in flow cytometers and FACE sorter. I
>> mentioned to some visitors today that BD's X50 is named for their
>> intent (and look to be on target to achieve) 50plex fluorescence flow
>> cytometry, with several directional cell sorting (I'm spacing out on
>> the numbers, maybe 6 way sort now, 10 way in ~3 years?). I'm also a
>> fan of CyTOF, imaging CyTOF, MIBI-ToF, etcTOF.
>>
>> enjoy,
>> George
>> p.s. Disclosure: I came across nano-tag.com at their exhibit at
>> Society for Neuroscience 2017, who turned me on to the Pleiner
>> article. They were nice enough to send several free samples, which
> [...]

George McNamara, PhD
Baltimore, MD 21231
https://www.linkedin.com/in/georgemcnamara
https://works.bepress.com/gmcnamara/75   (may need to use Microsoft Edge or Firefox, rather than Google Chrome)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/browse/collection/44962650
http://confocal.jhu.edu

July 2017 Current Protocols article, open access:
UNIT 4.4 Microscopy and Image Analysis
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cphg.42/abstract
supporting materials direct link is
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cphg.42/full#hg0404-sec-0023