CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2017

From:
Sylvie Le Guyader <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2017 09:57:43 +0000

Dear list

I fully agree that the ELMI, Eurobioimaging and all the network opportunities that exist at a country or continent level are fantastic and I strongly recommend sending facility staff for job shadowing to learn alternative ways to manage facilities.

However for staff of a small facility who feel that external input would be useful more than once per year, it can be a little difficult to know where to get practical help when a problem shows up.

Inspired by our Singaporean colleagues, we have found an easy way to start a local network: we contacted all other imaging facilities in the Stockholm/Uppsala region and suggested we should meet every second month for 2h.

All the facilities take turn in hosting the meeting. This allows everyone to be aware of the type of equipment the others have, see what they do when they want to upgrade, what type of imaging their users do...

Each host decides on the format, some like it very informal and some have it very structured with agenda and presentation. Missing a meeting is not a big deal as we often share some notes and there is another meeting soon after.

Taking turn means that there is no heavy organization for just one facility. It only takes sending a Doodle to find a date that works for most, booking a room then sending an email to confirm date and venue. And of course buying 'fika' (coffee bread) because we are in Sweden so we love our fika!! :-D

All one needs is a shared cloud storage (Dropbox style) with the shared mailing list that is updated as each facility adds new people. Our list of participants has only grown from 15 to 33 facility staff since we started, just one year ago.

We talk about very practical things, from funding to should we be listed authors on papers or not, how we deal with all the data, sharing teaching/training resources... Meeting regularly means that you know exactly who might be able to help you solve that problem that just popped up at your facility. Inviting everyone for a particularly interesting seminar is no hassle with a ready-to-use mailing list.

I personally find global/national networks very inspiring and local networks super useful! :)

Just thought I would share with you all.

Med vänlig hälsning / Best regards

Sylvie

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Sylvie Le Guyader, PhD