CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1996

From:
Ray Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 11:38:13 +0100
Hi all,

With all these cents flying around I thought I'd spend a penny:)

The way I read the original letter, she isn't using aldehydes to fix her
cells in any way,  she's worried that photolysis products of FLUO-3 may
contain aldehydes, and that those aldehydes may be at a concentration that
will interefere with the cells' physiology.

It's quite a tough one to answer, since although it's possible to bathe
cells in varying external concentrations of aldehyde and see what happens,
the conentration needed to fix and permeablise the membrane may be much
higher than that required to disrupt a metabolic pathway.  Intracellular
aldehyde may well be a problem even at low concentrations, but it's hard to
imagine (for me at least) how you might go about introducing known amounts
into a viable cell with intact membranes to study their effect.

It's also hard to tell whether the aldehydes would have as large an effect
as the free radicals they might derive from.

Ray

                              Ray Hicks
|University of Cambridge          |Tel              01223 330149        |
|Department of Medicine           |Fax             01223 336846         |
|Level 5, Addenbrookes Hospital   |e-mail         [log in to unmask]   |
|Hills Road Cambridge             |Web Page/     facsmac.med.cam.ac.uk  |
|CB2                              |ftp server    131.111.80.78          |
|UK                               |                                     |