CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2017

From:
"Krzic, Uros" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2017 16:19:29 +0000

Dear Pascal,

This is a known limitation of all structured illumination methods, including Apotome. Structured illumination uses a grid illumination to encode the depth of the structures in the specimen relative to the focal plane: if a grid projection on a structure is sharp, the object is known to be in the focal plane. If it's blurred, it lies outside the focal plane and is removed from the final image. In case of a homogeneous "sea of fluorescence" (such as Chroma slides), the algorithm cannot distinguish well between the blurred out-of-focus signal and the "real" blur resulting from the homogeneous fluorophore distribution, and therefore generates images with arbitrary levels of background. This results in a tile-scans with varying level of signal in different tiles that you observed.

As a guideline for Apotome processing, only samples should be used that demonstrate a visible Apotome illumination grid (either in Live-Mode on the screen, or through the Oculars). Shading-correction should be done in wide-field mode.

If you want to make sure that the Apotome processing works fine with a tile-scan, you could test it e.g. on a sample with a layer of fluorescent beads (that have some space between them) instead of your homogeneous fluorescent slide.

I hope this helps!

With best regards,
Uros Krzic from ZEISS