CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2009

From:
Waldo Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:10:34 -0500
I would like to coat some glass dishes with vitronectin in order to help cells
spread and image the adhesion structures.

I understand there are several factors that will affect adherance such as
density of vitronectin used per cm2 etc.

However, how long does this layer last once you have plated your cells out on
them?

Hours? Days? Weeks?

Once a cell has moved over a part of vitronectin coating, is that vitronectin
coat "used"?

My question comes from a basis that using FCS (in which I beleive vitronectin
is one of the most concentrated adhesive proteins) to coat my dishes only
seems to help cells spread when it has been newly coated, and not once the
dish has been in use for 3 days (ie, observation is that precursor cells in 3 day
samples eventually differentiate but hardly spread. If you take these
precursors and plate them on new dishes..bingo!!!!!!!!!).

sEB