CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2022

From:
Jacqueline Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2022 22:27:13 +0000
To join or leave the confocal microscopy listserv or to change your email address, go to:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=confocalmicroscopy&A=1

Hi everyone,

This isn't a specific confocal question but I'm hoping that someone who has personal experience with this fluorophore can help me. We have a slide scanner which was configured to include a specific LED and filter set for imaging Alexa Fluor 430 but I have been told by one of our users that this fluorophore is poor and they don't want to persevere with it. We also have one confocal microscope with excitation at 440nm that is suitable for this fluorophore.

I know that when we were previously imaging Alexa Fluor 350 (with a 350/364nm laser), we were advised by the vendor's representative to use the secondary antibody at 1/50 concentration in order to get reasonable results. It was also vulnerable to photobleaching as expected at that wavelength.

I've come across a few tables which indicate that Alexa Fluor 430nm is a weaker fluorophore but I'd still like our users to be able to use it.

Has anyone used Alexa Fluor 430nm successfully and if so, was it necessary to use it at high concentration?

Kind regards,

Jacqui

Jacqueline Ross
Lead Technologist
Optical Microscopy & Image Analysis
Biomedical Imaging Research Unit (BIRU)
Faculty of Medical & Health Sciences
Waipapa Taumata Rau | The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
Auckland 1142, NEW ZEALAND

Telephone: Ext 87438; DDI:  +64 9 923 7438

Website:    http://www.auckland.ac.nz/biru

SHIPPING ADDRESS
Waipapa Taumata Rau | The University of Auckland
M&HS BUILDING 505 - Bldg 505
Level B, Room B36
85 PARK RD/Loading Dock, Park Avenue
Grafton, Auckland 1023