CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2004

From:
Robert Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:04:34 -0400

Price on my recofiguration is conservatative.  A new from Zeiss
Axioplan/Axiotron head (without the built in diode laser and filters and 10+
inches in hight) runs over the 3K, the labor to modify the head was a
Thousand dollars at a special repair station rate.  In at least the Zeiss
210-310 series there is a massive piggy back module on the back of the scope
containing another laser and a series of motorized mirrors and at least 30
pounds of cables that control ??   I bought 2 of these scopes to
"reconfigure" to a standard microscope, one near completion and way over
budget other sits waiting any suggested use.  Although I have not weighed
the before and after, there is over 50% reduction in both size and weight
after.  Another soon to be problem is buying either manual focusing,
objective turret,condenser and stage movement controlls and or new parts,
all were controlled by the conputer/ keypad.  AND do not neglect the expens
of new Zeiss lights and power supplies, a new Flz slider (over a $1k without
filters) as the laser block is not the same as normal Axioplans.  Anyone
considering this conversion reversal is welcome to contact me for advise
beyond my initial "don't" and or email photos of before and after.  I expect
to have over $8,000.00 in the "reconsstructed" scope. with used optics and
equipted with full Flz using reflected and transmitted light.  And I thought
this to be a simple project.  Zeiss is not only the top of the line in most
microscopes, but the top innovator on new items, this scope I keep refering
to as an Axioplan is in reality an Axiotron frame mated to the optical path
of the Axioplan.  For an end user in Pathology or specialized needs, it's
deep throat (front to back stage size overlap) for oversize specimen's might
be just the thing?  And be worth the expense, modifications to my scope are
being done by the Zeiss associate Green Mountain Microscope co. 802-453-6480
Bob Dixon the Zeiss factory trained service person who is a wizard on most
Zeiss repairs is undertaking thies "project" for me.  Bob Morgan