CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2017

From:
Andrew York <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2017 12:24:01 -0800

Craig's point is a good excuse to bring up one of my favorite physics
questions: if you use a plane wave to stimulate a pointlike fluorophore to
emit, is the fluorophore's emission a plane wave, or a spherical* outgoing
wave?

Other ways to phrase the question include:
* Does stimulated emission from an isolated pointlike emitter carry
information about the emitter location?
* Can we use lenses to form images with stimulated emission?

We showed some results at the last Focus on Microscopy:
 https://goo.gl/9Sr812
...and I think there's lots of fun follow-up questions.

*dipole-shaped, of course, not spherically symmetric, but you know what I
mean.