CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2003

From:
"Michael C. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 09:24:41 -0700

Lasers are generally classified and controlled according to the following
criteria:

Class I lasers - Lasers that are not hazardous for continuous viewing or are
designed in such a way that prevent human access to laser radiation. These
consist of low power lasers or higher power embedded lasers (i.e., laser
printers).
Class I - EXEMPT LASERS, considered 'safe' for intrabeam viewing. Visible
beam.
Maximum power less than 0.4 uW. This will not cause damage even where the
entire beam enters the eye and it is being stared at continuously.

Class II visible lasers (400 to 700 nm) - Lasers emitting visible light which
because of normal human aversion responses, do not normally present a hazard,
but would if viewed directly for extended periods of time. (like many
conventional light sources).
Class IIa visible lasers (400 to 700 nm) - Lasers emitting visible light not
intended for viewing, and under normal operating conditions would not produce
a injury to the eye if viewed directly for less than 1,000 seconds (i.e. bar
code scanners).
Class II - LOW-POWERED VISIBLE (CW) OR HIGH PRF LASERS, won't damage your eye
if viewed momentarily. Visible beam.
Maximum power less than 1 mW for HeNe laser.

Class IIIa lasers - Lasers that normally would not cause injury to the eye if
viewed momentarily but would present a hazard if viewed using collecting
optics (fibre optics loupe or telescope).
Class IIIa - MEDIUM POWER LASERS, focused beam can injure the eye.
HeNe laser power 1.0 to 5.0 mW.

Class IIIb lasers - Lasers that present an eye and skin hazard if viewed
directly. This includes both intrabeam viewing and specular reflections. Class
IIIb lasers do not produce a hazardous diffuse reflection except when viewed
at close proximity.
Class IIIb - MEDIUM POWER LASERS, diffuse reflection is not hazardous, doesn't
present a fire hazard.
Visible Argon laser power 5.0 mW to 500 mW.

Class IV lasers - Lasers that present an eye hazard from direct, specular and
diffuse reflections. In addition such lasers may be fire hazards and produce
skin burns.
Class IV - HIGH POWER LASERS, diffuse reflection is hazardous and/or a fire
hazard.

For more information on this, and anything else you ever wanted to know about
lasers, check the following website:

http://members.misty.com/don/laserfaq.htm

Mike

>===== Original Message From Confocal Microscopy List
>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Dear confocal lovers,
>
>Does anyone tell me what means "laser rating"?
>Our safety manager wants to know what "laser rating" of our NORAN
>Odyssey confocal,
>because she needs to decide whether or not we should wear safety goggles
>during the work.
>She says it is like "2B" or "3B" something, but I could not find it in
>the manual.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>  Keewook Yi
>  Research Analyst / electron microscope
>  Indiana University School of Dentistry
>  415 Lansing st.
>  Indianapolis, IN 46202-2876
>  tel) 317-274-2598
>
>This is the way it's been done for billions of years.
>Small moves, Ellie. Small moves.    - from "Contact"

Michael C. Adams
Research Technician for Dr. Clare Waterman-Storer
Laboratory of Cell Motility Studies
Department of Cell Biology
The Scripps Research Institute
10550 North Torrey Pines Road, CB 163