CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1997

From:
Philip Oshel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 17:33:23 -0500
I have been following this thread, as it is of interest to me, but I
thought I'd pass the buck to my brother, a Mac developer who burns CDs for
file archiving. Below is his response:

His response starts with the statement, "you can't store a Mac resource
fork on a PC: is this true?"

>Not exactly.  PC Exchange, which is built into System 7.x, creates a hidden
>resource fork directory on PC disks that have Mac files on them, along with
>additional Finder info files which contain information about file type and
>creator, icons, position of icons in windows, etc.  Although these
>additional files are marked as hidden, they can be read and presumably
>copied by Windows '95 directly.  However...
>
>The normal method for sharing Mac files on Unix/DOS/Windows media is to
>compress and "binhex" them using Aladdin's Stuffit Lite (freeware).  Large
>files can be split onto several disks using Stuffit Deluxe.  On the Windows
>side, either WinZip or the Aladdin stuffit utility for Windows can
>decompress and read the files.  A Stuffit ".sit" file is completely
>flattened and does not have a meaningful resource fork, just an 8-bit data
>fork.  "BinHex" translation creates a 7-bit data fork (and a larger file),
>which can survive file transfers over the Internet.  A Stuffit ".sea" file
>DOES have a resource fork -- the code used to decompress the archive
>contained in the data fork.  Sending this via Internet can strip off the
>self-extractor, causing Stuffit to complain that the file appears to be
>corrupt; however, usually the data fork is intact.
>
>There is typically no image information in the resource fork of a Mac file,
>provided one is transferring TIFF, GIFF, JPEG/JFIF, PNG or even Windows BMP
>files.  Good shareware utilities for manipulating images include Thorsten
>Lemke's GraphicConverter on the Mac, or Larry Reeve's PolyBytes on Win32
>boxes.

Burning a hybrid CD readable by either a Mac or DOS PC ...

>You create a  Mac/ISO 9660 "hybrid" disk, use DOS style filenames (*.TIF,
>*.JPG, *.GIF, etc.) on the ISO partition, and ignore the resource forks.
>Put the normal Mac files on the Mac partition.  This duplicates the data,
>but CD's are cheap compared to their shelf life.  Astarte's Toast CD-ROM
>Pro software is probably the de facto standard for Mac, because so many
>worm drive manufacturers bundle it with their CD-Rs.  It is excellent.
>
>Otherwise, just use a ISO 9660 disk.  All Macs can read these, it's part of
>the standard Apple CD-ROM driver.  Again, DOS-style file names with
>meaningful suffices, and ignore the resource forks.  There is no functional
>difference between downloading such files from the Internet, or
>"downloading" them from an ISO 9660 CD.
>
>Ignoring the resource fork of a Mac image file generally means, at most,
>that any custom image icons and previews created by GraphicConverter or
>JPEGView will be stripped away.  This sacrifice is recommended for archival
>purposes anyway.
>
>Any text files used for additional file documentation should be stored in
>the Unix line ending style (LF), but not the Mac style (CR) or DOS style
>(CRLF).  Bare Bones Software's Brief text editor can read/write/convert
>these "strange" line endings on the Mac, and PFE, the Programmer's File
>Editor, can read/write/convert them on the Windows side.  Both are
>shareware.  The Unix style is standard on more installed workstations than
>Windows and Mac combined, by a factor of at least five.
>
>David C. Oshel           [log in to unmask]
>Cedar Rapids, Iowa, US   http://pobox.com/~dcoshel/
>"Tension, apprehension and dissension have begun." - Duffy Wyg&, in Alfred
>Bester's _The Demolished Man_
Erratum...

>I'm not sure WinZip can read a ".sit" file, come to think of it.
>David C. Oshel           [log in to unmask]

Hope this is useful. I second the comment on Graphic Converter. An
excellent shareware image file conversion program, with basic image
processing  abilities (well, more than just "basic"). Now at version 2.9.1.

Phil

Philip Oshel
Station A
PO Box 5037