MJF-LIST Archives

September 2008

MJF-LIST@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Brianna Mooty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:53:02 -0700
Thank you for your interest in the Minnesota Justice Foundation-Student Chapter!

Our first meeting of the year is Monday, Sept. 22, at 12:15 in Room 50. We will discuss MJF, talk about volunteer legal-service opportunities for students, and explain opportunities for new students to get involved with the chapter.  For those who are interested in running for an open position, we will be havingelections through our TWEN site from Tuesday, Sept. 23 at 1pm to Wednesday, Sept. 24 at 1pm.

Pleaseregister for MJF on our TWEN site. We will be using the site to inform you of upcoming events, such as our new Speaker Series and the Professor Talent Show, as well as any important announcements.

There are several open positions on the student chapter board for 1Ls to fill.  More information will be provided on Monday, but for now, here's a quick look at them:

Student Representative to the State Board of Directors.  Serve on the Board of Directors as a liaison between the Student Chapter and the State Board, which is made up of attorneys from private firms and public-service agencies and which governs the statewide MJF foundation.  This position requires you to attend monthly meetings; the first will be Wednesday, Sept. 24 at 5:30pm.

Secretary of the Student Chapter.  Serve on the Student Chapter board. The main duties of this position are to attend meetings, create minutes for the meetings, and update the Student Chapter TWEN site (no technological knowledge needed), as well as other duties as needed.

1L Section Leader. Serve as a liasion between the Student Chapter and your 1L Section. This position requires attendance at all Student Chapter meetings, and the main duty is to increase Section involvement by making periodic announcements about upcoming events and opportunities and encouraging those in your Section to participate. We are looking for one Section Leader from each 1L Section.

And there are some immediate opportunities to get involved with the student chapter, including:

** Help plan the Professor Talent Show!  Write scripts (Last year's sketches included a filmed episode of "The Lawffice," in which Dean Charles taunted Dean Morrision with faxes from "Future Dean"; Professor Matheson sang, Professor Clary donned dreadlocks and a sword to annotate the "Pirates Code";  and Professor Feld's dog serenaded a full crowd in Room 25 (via video ... but still)!)

** Help recruit speakers for the Public Interest Speakers Series and plan those events.

** Find out about part-time school-year volunteer opportunities.

Thanks, and we'll see you there!

MJF-Student Chapter