MOU-RBA Archives

December 2017

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2017 19:03:38 -0700

Common Redpoll
Hoary Redpoll
White-throated Sparrow
Harris's Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: December 14, 2017
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, December
14, 2017 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce.
You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or
1-800-433-1888.

Winter seems to have arrived in our area this week, but the temperatures
have remained pretty comfortable. Tonight , however, they are supposed
to dip and we may get a taste of below zero conditions. Birds are really
busy at the feeders today also. There are not a lot of reported
sightings this week , probable due to the busy Christmas season, and the
icy roads we have been experiencing. There have been several snowy owl
reports this week, including one in Polk County, one in Marshall County,
one in Beltrami County, and one in Red Lake County.

In Douglas County, both CACKLING GOOSE and CANADA GOOSE were reported on
Lake Carlos on December 13.

Sandy Aubol in East Grand Forks, Polk County, reported two HARRIS'S
SPARROWS, three NORTHERN CARDINALS, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, and HOARY
REDPOLL in the yard this week. SHARP-SHINNED HAWK and NORTHERN SHRIKE
have also been visiting her yard.

In Pennington County this week we have seen a BALD EAGLE cruising along
the river, and a large flock of COMMON REDPOLLS were busy at our feeder
this afternoon. Three PILEATED WOODPECKERS have been visiting our suet
this week- two males and one female.

A TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE is being seen in Bemidji, Beltrami County as
recently as December 12. Beth Siverhus reported a NORTHERN HAWK OWL and
also a GREAT GRAY OWL in Beltrami County on December 10.

NORTHERN HAWK OWL , BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER, RUFFED GROUSE, and
BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE were observed by Aaron Ludwig in Roseau County on
December 9. He also reported flocks of PINE GROSBEAKS in the city of
Warroad.

A GREAT GRAY OWL was seen by Beth Siverhus along MN 72 in Lake of the
Woods County on December 10.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, December
21, 2017.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN