MOU-RBA Archives

February 2020

From:
"Heins, Chad" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heins, Chad
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2020 15:19:42 -0600
Hey birders,

I was caught off guard yesterday while at Minneopa State Park campground
when I heard Common Redpolls singing in the trees over my head.  It turned
out to be two birds.  They had come in to investigate a group of jays that
were mobbing a *subarcticus* Great Horned Owl.  Winter finches have been
largely absent from the southern part of the state with only scattered
reports of Purple Finches and even fewer reports of Pine Siskins.  Species
diversity and abundance has been low in Blue Earth County this winter and I
am personally growing tired of empty searches for overwintering owls and
other winter birds.  Bring on the waterfowl!

Happy birding!

Chad Heins

Mankato