WEBSTANDARDS Archives

January 2010

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:25:16 -0600
From:
"Aaron J. Zirbes" <[log in to unmask]>
I'll second Zach's request for root as some of the web systems we run
internally are backed by system-level scripts, odd perl modules, or
other things that need to be installed by hand.  I'd gladly sacrifice
certain levels of support for root access.

I'll also say that as we are an Ubuntu/Debian shop that just finished
migrating away from RedHat (which we had been running since 1999), I
would not like to go back.  RedHat makes system administration more
painful than it needs to be.  It also doesn't require a $200/year/server
license (which I would gladly pay again if it was actually worth it).

In fact, if root access wasn't allowed, I would put my request for
Debian or Ubuntu over my request for root access.

--
Aaron