WEBSTANDARDS Archives

September 2009

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Gabe Ormsby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 14:34:24 -0500
Kathy,

Aaron and Shawn have addressed several points well. The core of the
problem, I think, lies in that the .psd format is proprietary, closed,
and can be changed at Adobe's whim, which makes GIMP compatibility a
continuous game of reverse engineering and catching up. People who work
with open source apps like Inkscape and GIMP tend to use the formats
native for those (which Adobe is completely free to support, should they
so choose.)

Perhaps a better approach would be to consider making individual
component layers available as separate files - vector art in .svg for
the Inkscape users and .ai for the Illustrator users; photos as .tif;
bitmap art as .png; etc, perhaps also throwing in some "recipe" style
tips (e.g. how to recreate a certain gradient effect, % of
transparencies, etc.) That eliminates the .psd <-> .xcf problem, but
pushes a bit of composition work off to the user. This also allows the
user to chose vector- or bitmap-based tools on a case by case basis.

-Gabe

--
Gabe Ormsby
Web & Database Developer

Office of the Senior Vice President for System Academic Administration
University of Minnesota Twin Cities
http://www.academic.umn.edu/system/