WEBSTANDARDS Archives

February 2013

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Ben Demaree <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN Web Standards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 12:47:52 -0600
Jolie,

I definitely learned something about Twitter today.  I had known for a
while that only a limited timeline of tweets was indexed for search (most
recent week or so), but I was not aware that some tweets or hastags may be
excluded wholesale.  I read this
article<http://eventamplifier.com/2011/03/16/a-tale-of-two-twitter-accounts/>for
further confirmation of your issue, as well as the Twitter support
document <https://support.twitter.com/articles/66018> on it.  It seems if
you include a URL Twitter is even less likely to include your tweets in
search; while this is anecdotally reported by users, it makes sense, as
Twitter spiders every link and relies on their link shortening service
completely.

I followed your research on the issue and looked at the streaming API as
well.  Unfortunately the streaming library is intended only for new
(incoming) tweets; i.e., you can't load tweets from prior to the time your
began the request to Twitter, from what I can tell.  As for Apache, as a
side note, Apache is both a foundation and a product.  Apache as a software
product is a webserver.  The documentation refers to the Apache HttpClient,
written in Java and somewhat tricky to implement.  I looked for a simple
web-based streaming client; there are a few but they only served to confirm
the "incoming only" notion.

I wish I had found otherwise searching on this issue; I thought Twitter
would be a bit more robust here.  Only think I can think is that some
service that indexes tweets externally, like Faavorite, would help, but
their search wouldn't work correctly when I tried your hashtag, which is a
bad sign...

You may have to fall back on creating a class Twitter account, or something
along those lines.

Best of luck,
Ben