WEBSTANDARDS Archives

November 2009

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:37:57 -0600
From:
Kristofer Layon <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Thanks for your input -- it's not too late for great web wisdom from
you, Zack.  =)

And to refer to my metaphor again, Zach's argument meshes with that
very well.  Can you imagine if U of M scholars only published their
research in print journals that were only read by by people on
campus?  That limitation would be ridiculous.  So it wouldn't make any
sense for online content either.

The entire point of any university is to lead in the exchange of
information within and across *worldwide* communities of scholars,
researchers, and practitioners.  And this includes us as the
professionals who are responsible for publishing and sharing content
online.

I've heard references to university policy being determined for these
kinds of web services and practices.  I certainly hope that the people
having such discussions and making such decisions come to our meetings
and talk to us, the people who are actually doing the university's
work on the web, so that they understand what they're crafting policy
about.  If any of you know more about these policy conversations,
please share our wiki with them or invite them to this mailing list to
stay in touch.

Thanks,

Kris