WEBSTANDARDS Archives

March 2012

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
UofMN Web Standards <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Chad Fennell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:06:09 -0500
Postgres support in Drupal has always lagged a bit behind MySQL, yes.
The same is true for lots of software projects and is probably a
function of most people, for better or worse, not really giving a crap
about the benefits of Postgres over MySQL.  As a result, Drupal has
always aimed at addressing the 99%, if you will.  As for a general
lack of Oracle integration, same reason only more so.  Oracle is the
Koch Brothers of the database world, to continue with this bad
metaphor.

Still, Drupal has been making significant inroads into the enterprise
in the past couple of years (e.g. http://www.acquia.com/customers),
however, so maybe that will change.  I hope it does.  For my own
purposes, MySQL quite easily handles my needs.  If it's good enough
for Facebook, it's good enough for me :).

> There are over 4,000 open bugs currently, which is a little ridiculous. It's a classic case of nobody wanting to fix the hard and unglamorous stuff.

Well, when you have more contributors than just about any other
software project on the planet, you're going to have more than a
couple of bug reports. I mean, with a smaller developer community,
Ubuntu has 92025 open bugs.  But you don't hear me up on the roof of
the Walter building shouting "OMG! Ubuntu Haz Bugz!!!" :) It's
actually a sign of the project's overall health - people are
participating, important stuff floats to the top. Welcome to a big
open source project.

The question is how well Drupal core and key modules address security
bugs and solve critical and severe bugs.  For these, I think the track
record is pretty good, and will get better as functional/unit tests
become more complete over time (we have 100% coverage in core right
now, but with lots of room for improvement).  Just throwing out "4,000
open bugs" is just FUD without context.

-C